Mentis Imperium, et Lunam, et Pastor

  The final stretch of my surreal photography project was not as ambitious as I had hoped, but on the brighter side I got to convey a different, more abstract story from Officium Parabolam in Et Luna, et Pastor. The entire project altogether feels a little mismatched, and this is mistakenly due to me working on these completely separately from one another. For future personal projects akin to this, I will work on both halves at once so they have continuity and consistency in their themes and quality.


 Despite this, I have created three unique illustrations on three photographs for the first half, and have photographed six different paper set constructions and adjusted them in Photoshop for the second half. Inspired by Officium Parabolam, the second half features a familiar setting, albeit less detailed. For the sake of making things interesting I retained the Latin titles, with Mentis Imperium meaning "mind control"—the main theme of "HIJACK" which inspired the hands/fingers triptych—and Et Luna, et Pastor meaning "the shepherd and the moon".


 There's a certain aura that the second half of this project gives me which I could only ascribe to one song; The Shepherd and the Moon by Aphrodite's Child. Music often helps me in producing my work by helping me slip into various emotions and re-contextualise my ideas and make something new out of them. If I worked on these pieces in complete silence and had no exterior influence past my chosen theme and artists, I fear my work would have been terribly bland and uninspired. The sheer power and force behind music and emotions helps drive me to push the quality of my work to a fuller degree, and I really feel that in this project, namely in the first half.


 Finally, here are the total nine images that conclude this project.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Mentis Imperium, et Lunam, et Pastor

  The final stretch of my surreal photography project was not as ambitious as I had hoped, but on the brighter side I got to convey a differ...